What do you need to remember in addition to your ESTA when traveling to the United States?

There are many things to consider when traveling to the United States, and it can be difficult to keep track of it all. Here is a list of things that you need to remember besides your ESTA visa when traveling to the United States.

1. What currency should I have?

When you go on holiday to the United States, remember that it is a country that uses cash much more than other countries in the world. Usually, when Danes go on holiday in Europe, you can do it contact-free, as long as you have your credit card with you. This is not possible in the United States, as there are actually many places where you will find that you cannot use maps at all.

Therefore, before traveling, you need to remember to go to the bank to exchange for US dollars. There will be ATMs when you arrive in the United States, but it’s a good idea to make sure you have cash so you can take a taxi to your hotel.

2. Do my driver’s license work?

If you are going to rent a car in the United States, be sure to get yourself an International Driver’s License. You are not allowed to drive in the United States if you just have your Danish driver’s license with you. You get yourself an international driver’s license by going down to the citizen service in your municipality.

3. Adapter and Fahrenheit

There are many things that work differently when you arrive in the United States, and therefore you should be aware that Americans do not use Celsius when they talk about temperatures. Americans use Fahrenheit, so it might be a good idea to download an app that tells you what Fahrenheit is in Celsius. In addition to their measuring devices, they also use different sockets, so be sure to buy an adapter so you can charge your electronics.

4. Passport and insurance

The last thing you need to know is whether your passport is valid or whether it needs to be renewed, as well as whether you have travel insurance. After Corona, it has become clearer that it is a good idea to always have travel insurance, in case something should happen either privately or in the country that makes you unable to get away.

Now there is control of the practicalities, then there is nothing to do but go on an amazing journey.

Citizens of VWP (Visa Waiver Program) member countries are required to obtain an electronic travel authorization system in order to travel to or through the United States.
New ESTA Application